Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bringing it Back

Hello.

I haven't written to you, my dear blog, in quite some time. Lately, I've been feeling the urge to write, even if it's for myself.

Write about what? Honestly, I really don't know. This used to be a blog solely for academic purposes, however, I've decided to repurpose it as a personal soundboard to ground my thoughts in. There are no right or wrong answers. It's merely a place to talk (or mostly rant) to cyberspace about what I'm feeling on the current state of the design culture, and how I fit into it. As someone that deeply hates the sheer amount of obscure blogs there are out there, I guess I'm adding more fuel to the fire. :/

So here we go.

I've been learning a lot about the history and development of the design industry, from arts and crafts to mass mechanization to consumerism. But, where are we now? I feel students are trained to design for profit and consumerism (packaging, posters,and products anyone?) It's not to say that we aren't taught about "sustainability", but using recycled paper and soy inks will not solve the world's problems, thank you very much.

I'm wondering how my skills in visual thinking and writing will help contribute to a better society, one can only design so many non profit fundraiser posters...

But maybe I'm being cynical, or I'm just inexperienced. Is it a crime that I want my profession to have deep meaning, devoid of anything "branding"or "identity" related?

I think my ranting means I need read Nathan Shedroff's "Design is the Problem." Will return with a review and a more optimistic mood, eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment