Monday, November 23, 2009

OBJECTIFIED.



I haven’t seen Helvetica yet, but I was incredibly excited that we got to watch this film. I think industrial design is something that only gets lightly mentioned in most of my classes, so it was refreshing to see the theories and practices of some of the most famous working industrial designers today.

I think the main thing that effected was the whole idea of form and function. The way Hustwit communicated to us about the relationship of form and function was simple and thought provoking: if form follows function in the past, what do we have now? A rounded rectangular shape of the IPhone does not visually yield any idea of what it does, however, it probably replaces about 8 or 9 gadgets. This may sound like a simple idea, but I was blown away. Where is form headed to then, will form and function now be two ambiguous and unrelated things?



No comments:

Post a Comment